2 cups ultimate chocolate cake crumb (broken into small pieces)
½ cup berry compote
2 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla pod
1 star anise
zest of 1 orange finely grated
200 grams good quality dark chocolate (a bit over 1 cup small chocolate buttons)
some white chocolate for decoration (optional)
1. Warm berry compote with cinnamon, vanilla, star anise and orange zest. Simmer gently to infuse flavours, for about 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Remove cinnamon sticks, star anise and vanilla pod.
4. Break the cake apart with your hands. When cool, stir compote into cake crumbs and set aside.
5. Carefully shape mixture into balls using your hands. Place on a tray and refrigerate for 1 hour or until ready to dip into chocolate.
6. Mean while melt 200 grams of high quality dark chocolate over double boiler. Gently dip chocolate berry balls into melted chocolate, use a spoon and your fingers. Tap on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
7. Place on tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate to set chocolate coating. 8. Trim excess chocolate once set and solid.
9. To decorate the balls, melt white chocolate and drizzle over the balls using a fork. Sprinkle with edible lustre or desiccated coconut.